Sunday, May 25, 2008

Save Some For Me!

I am the mother of one son (and 5 daughters). I remember my son's appetite from about age 6 or 7 on up through his teen years. However, when you are faced with 5 growing boys with appetites to match, having only one son pales in comparison.

My #3 daugher just had her 6th child yesterday, as you will note if you read my blog. After 5 boys, they finally had a girl. The boys range in age from "almost" 5 up to age 11. Sitting at the dinner table with them these past couple of days has been an eye-opener. I can barely get the food on the table, till they're asking for seconds, and I haven't even sat down to eat yet! Last night one of my daughter's friends brought over two Papa Murphy's pizza for our dinner. The 9 year-old had his first piece eaten by the time we had handed out a piece to each of his brothers. This one ended up eating 5 pieces. I think the other boys each had 4. Their dad & I probably had 3 each. At this rate, someone may have to get a second job just to feed these boys.

Mothers of sons are to be admired, I'm discovering. And I think it takes a special person to have a lot of sons. Someone with patience to withstand all the rowdiness and wrestling, dirt and grime, and their appetites. The mothers of lots of sons that I know have had an incredible amount of patience for their rowdy boys. They don't seem to mind when one of the boys tosses a ball through a window, breaks things when wrestling or playing catch in the livingroom. They tolerate the snakes, frogs and other bugs brought home by their sons. They clean up the muddy footprints on the floor with extreme tolerance, as they do the sink and bathtub and dirty dishes.
Yes, mothers of sons have a lot of patience. Either that, or they're just too hungry to argue with them!

No comments: